If you missed the first three parts of Once Upon A Time, you can find them by clicking the links below:
It was a sunny morning with a clear sky and fresh smell of grass in the air. The flowers were all around the meadow. The Dream and Hope found it many, many days ago, and decided to stay here. To wait.
But The Heart didn’t come to find them so far.
– How long do you think we’re going to wait? – The Dream scratched her hand and looked Hope.
– I have no idea…
– How does The Heart know where to find us?
– I have no idea… – Hope repeated
– I miss my tree. – The Dream was playing with the only leaf she had left from her Comfort Tree. It was still green, and its touch was comforting The Dream
– I know you do. – Hope touched her shoulder – But we’ve come so far, we cannot give up now. Please, don’t give up!
The Dream nodded and put the leaf back in her pocket. She looked at the sun and scratching her hand laid on the grass, although it was still wet. She closed her eyes and touched the pocket where the leaf was. A small tier fell on the grass. The Dream closed her eyes.
When she opened them again, Hope was gone. The Dream stood up and looked around for her friend. Hope would never just go somewhere without saying anything.
– Hope?! – The Dream looked around, but couldn’t see Hope
She went into the woods calling her friend’s name again and again. Nothing. Hope was gone, and The Dream had no idea where and why.
– Hope, come back. I cannot go without you, Hope! – The Dream cried out and scratched her hand again.
The day was almost gone, but with the last sunbeam, The Dream saw that her both hands were covered in a rash. No! What was going on with her?
– Hope! I need you, Hope! – The Dream kept calling, but there was no answer.
She spent hours going through the woods with no success. Admitting that Hope was gone forever, The Dream sat on a pile of leaves. Her tears fell on the ground and burned few of them. The Dream gasped when she saw that. Her body was hot although she was feeling cold. She kept scratching her itchy hands until blood came out of the small wounds.
– Is this what happened to my sisters? – she asked with panic in her voice – Am I going to disappear like them, Hope? – the tears choked her for a second – I’m sorry I disappointed you, my dear friend.
She took the leaf out of her pocket and held it between her palms.
– And I’m sorry I disappointed you too, my dear tree. I shouldn’t have taken a piece of you with me. I thought I could make it to the waterfall.
The Dream made a small hall into the ground and placed the small green leaf there. A hot tear fell on it and burned a hole into it. The Dream gasped again when the leaf started burning.
– No! What’s happening?! – she cried out, but in the next moment, the last leaf from the comfort tree was turned into hot ash. -How is that even possible?! – she said
Cold wind touched her face and dried her tears. The rash was still torturing her bleeding hands.
– This cannot be true! – she whispered, and for that single second the rash disappeared. – This cannot be true! – she repeated and again felt the same short relief – I don’t believe that this is the end! – She said louder and even louder as someone could hear her – I don’t have where to go back, and even if I had, I am not going to. I will move forward and forward every single day! Step by step! And I will make it happen!
The wind almost blew her away, but she managed to hold herself on her feet. While talking she believed in every single word she said. She felt it, and she knew this what’s going to happen. Her only option was to keep moving. Her sisters, Hope, the lucky ladybird, Wisdom, all of them were working with her on the same goal – to reach the waterfall. And she was going to do it!
– That was very nice of you to say it. – A voice coming behind her made her jump. She quickly turned. A not very tall boy with a flat cap was standing there, playing with a slingshot between his fingers. His eyes were sassy and full of sparkles.
– Who are you? – The Dream asked softly
– I am Courage. – said the boy with such pride in the intonation that The Dream smiled
– Have you seen my friend – Hope?
– I know Hope – Courage nodded and continued – We’ve met each other many times in the past. But I haven’t seen her lately.
– I lost her somewhere – The Dream sadly looked around – Have you seen any of my sisters?
– No, they didn’t make it so far, I’m afraid. How did you get here by the way? This is my territory!
– Oh, I’m sorry. – The Dream stepped back – I don’t know how I got here, to be honest. I was just trying to find Hope when my rash started to spread and burn…
– Can I see it? – the boy interrupted her fast
The Dream looked at her hands, but there only a few bruises left.
– It was here! – she was shocked – It was here, and my hands were burning, the wind was cold, and my tears burned my last leaf form my Comfort Tree…
– Oh, I know what happened! – the boy laughed out loud and climbed the nearest tree so fast that The Dream almost forgot what they were talking about. – You had doubts!
– What are doubts? – She looked up at him. The Moon was so bright tonight that she could see almost everything around like it was daytime. The boy’s face was bright, and she felt like he was giving her from his bravery.
– The rash you had, girl! It’s called doubts. That’s what made your friend Hope disappear. Doubts come first just as a small pimple, and if you scratch it comes the second one, and then another one. And then it’s too late to stop them…
– But I did! – The Dream interrupted him – How did I manage?
– Your leaf was the reason for doubts to come. It was pulling you back to your Comfort Tree. It was stopping you from your last step. But then… you found yourself in my territory – the boy smiled and shot with the slingshot somewhere in the dark. The Dream followed the stone with her eyes, and a small light started burning from that direction.
A pulsation, like thunder, whispered in her ear. She looked at Courage who had a big smile on his face. Another pulsation, stronger, came from the same place where the light was coming from.
– What is this, Courage? – she asked
– You know better than me. – he smiled, jumped on the nearby tree, then on the next one, and The Dream lost him from her sight. – Come on! – he shouted, and she ran toward the light.
The ground was cold due to the lack of sunbeams to warm it. Mud was weighing her feet. The bushes around her were scratching her legs and arms, but she was running no matter what.
With every step, the bigger pain was entering her body, but this pain was bringing more and more power as well. A cold wind was hitting her face, and her hair was blinding her, but she ran. The pulsation was becoming stronger and stronger with every step. She knew what she was going to find after just a few more steps. And then another few steps… And another step…
When The Dream moved away from the last dark bushes, she shockingly froze in her place. The pulsation was gone…
A huge vivid waterfall was thundering the air, thousands, no, millions of small water diamonds were crashing in the most beautiful view that could exist.
– It was about time to come! – The Dream heard Hope’s voice and turned towards the direction.
– Hope!! – she hugged her strongly, and tears of joy started falling from her eyes. – How did you find that place, Hope?
– I didn’t! – Hope smiled softly – You found it. You found everyone!
– What do you mean everyone? – The Dream looked around and right there, next to the waterfall, on a shiny golden bench were sitting her sisters. – How did they…?
– You… It was you! – Hope smiled, gently touched The Dream’s hand and left her to go and hug her sisters. While she was listening to their laughs, Hope turned around and left the waterfall behind her back.
– Let’s find another dream to bring here… – she said and entered the wood with a soft smile.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog so you can be notified when something awesome is out.