I wouldn’t be a lie to say that that’s the book that changed my life forever and it wouldn’t be a lie to say that I am not the only person changed by it.
With over 25 million copies sold and translated in 25 languages, The Greatest Salesman in The World (published in 1968) is a masterpiece that’s hard to summarise in a few sentences.
However, I can offer you a few diamonds from it to lighten up your day and cheer you up.
1. “And most of all I will love myself. For when I do I will zealously inspect all things which enter my body, my mind, my soul, and my heart. Never will I overindulge the requests of my flesh, rather I will cherish my body with cleanliness and moderation. Never will I allow my mind to be attracted to evil and despair, rather I will uplift it with the knowledge and wisdom of the ages. Never will I allow my soul to become complacent and satisfied, rather I will feed it with meditation and prayer. Never will I allow my heart to become small and bitter, rather I will share it and it will grow and warm the earth.”
2. “Failure no longer will be my payment for struggle. Just as nature made no provision for my body to tolerate pain neither has it made any provision for my life to suffer failure. Failure, like pain, is alien to my life. In the past, I accepted it as I accepted pain. Now I reject it and I am prepared for wisdom and principles which will guide me out of the shadows into the sunlight of wealth, position, and happiness far beyond my most extravagant dreams until even the golden apples in the Garden of Hesperides will seem no more than my just reward.”
3. “Never feel shame for trying and failing for he who has never failed is he who has never tried.”
4. “Time teaches all things to him who lives forever but I have not the luxury of eternity.”
5. “Hafid, so far as material wealth is concerned, there is only one difference between myself and the lowliest beggar outside Herod’s palace. The beggar thinks only of his next meal and I think only of the meal that will be my last. No, my son, do not aspire for wealth and labour not only to be rich. Strive instead for happiness, to be loved and to love, and most importantly, to acquire peace of mind and serenity.”
6. “Victory comes only after many struggles and countless defeats.”
7. “My actions are ruled by appetite, passion, prejudice, greed, love, fear, environment, habit, and the worst of these tyrants is a habit.”
8 “I am the end product of thousands of years of evolution; therefore, I am better equipped in both mind and body than all the emperors and wise men who preceded me.”
9. “I will never consider defeat and I will remove from my vocabulary such words and phrases as quit, cannot, unable, impossible, out of the question, improbable, failure, unworkable, hopeless, and retreat; for they are the words of fools.”
10. “Failure no longer will be my payment for struggle.”
11. “Count your blessings. Once you realize how valuable you are and how much you have going for you, the smiles will return, the sun will break out, the music will play, and you will finally be able to move forward the life that God intended for you with grace, strength, courage, and confidence.”
12. “I will live this day as if it is my last. …I will waste not a moment mourning yesterday’s misfortunes, Yesterday’s defeats, yesterday’s aches of the heart, for why should I throw good after bad?”
13. “This day is all I have and these hours are now my eternity. I greet this sunrise with cries of joy as a prisoner who is reprieved from death. I lift my arms with thanks for this priceless gift of a new day. So too, I will beat upon my heart with gratitude as I consider all who greeted yesterday’s sunrise who are no longer with the living today. I am indeed a fortunate man and today’s hours are but a bonus, undeserved. Why have I been allowed to live this extra day when others, far better than I, have departed? Is it that they have accomplished their purpose while mine is yet to be achieved? Is this another opportunity for me to become the man I know I can be?”
14. “I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars.”
15. “I will greet this day with love in my heart. And how will I do this? Henceforth will I look on all things with love and be born again. I will love the sun for it warms my bones, yet I will love the rain for it cleanses my spirit. I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will love the darkness for it shows me the stars. I will welcome happiness as it enlarges my heart, yet I will endure sadness for it opens my soul.”
16. “I will act now. I will act now. I will act now. Henceforth, I will repeat these words each hour, each day, every day, until the words become as much a habit as my breathing, and the action which follows becomes as instinctive as the blinking of my eyelids. With these words, I can condition my mind to perform every action necessary for my success. I will act now. I will repeat these words again and again and again. I will walk where failures fear to walk. I will work when failures seek rest. I will act now, for now, is all I have. Tomorrow is the day reserved for the labour of the lazy. I am not lazy. Tomorrow is the day when the failure will succeed. I am not a failure. I will act now. Success will not wait. If I delay, success will become wed to another and lost to me forever. This is the time. This is the place. I am the person.”
17. “I am here for a purpose and that purpose is to grow into a mountain, not to shrink to a grain of sand. Henceforth will I apply ALL my efforts to become the highest mountain of all and I will strain my potential until it cries for mercy. ”
↓Pin for later↓
If you enjoyed these quotes and would like to know more about inspiration and getting more in life, here are some useful posts for you:
- 7 HABITS OF PEOPLE WHO ARE ALWAYS HAPPY
- 17 TIPS ON BUILDING YOUR SELF-CONFIDENCE FROM SCRATCH
- 17 TO LOVE AND BE LOVED QUOTES
- 10 QUOTES FOR STAYING STRONG – YOU’LL NEVER BELIEVE HOW STRONG THEY ARE
- 50 LIFE-CHANGING AFFIRMATIONS FOR MANIFESTING MORE LOVE IN YOUR LIFE
Subscribe to my blog if you’d like to occasionally receive tips for a better life.