For some people, small talk is an inevitable part of getting to know someone new. Many shiver at the thought – who would like to be asked their favorite color or talk about the weather?
Frankly, these are some of the most uncomfortable and genuinely uninteresting conversations I have found myself in over the years.
But what if I told you there is another way to get to know people? And more fun at that?
Consider asking “what if” questions instead of open-ended ones.
What if questions are some of my favorite conversation starters and can work wonderfully if you are in a relationship as well. These questions can never be too crazy – trust me, I have asked my boyfriend if he would still date me if I were a worm. Of course, he stared at me in disbelief for a while to fully process the question before he gave me his answer.
“If you were a worm, I would be a fish, and I would hope one day a fisherman puts you on his hook so that I can find my way to you.”
Romantic, I know.
No, please, don’t go away from this page; I am not crazy, I promise. It’s just that these questions can be so fun if you give them a chance. They are also a great way to bond with your partner and discover some very weird and wacky things about their personality.
Still not convinced? Okay, how about you go through my list of 50 what-if questions for couples, and then we can talk again at the end of the article. Okay? Okay!
Here are some of my favorite thought-provoking questions for couples without further ado.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you sign up or make a purchase I might get a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting my business. See full disclosure.
50 Wacky, Exciting and Inspiring What-If Questions for Couples
- What if we were stranded on a desert island for three months?
- What if you could only eat one dessert for the rest of your life – which one would it be?
- What if I cheated on you with your best friend – would you find a way to forgive me?
- What if we decided to move to the other side of the world?
- What if you had to choose fortune or happiness – which one would you go with?
- What if you could have one superpower for one day – what would they be, and what do you do?
- What if you had to watch one movie for the rest of your life – which one would you choose?
- What if the world was ending tomorrow – what would we do?
- What if we were immortal and could live together forever?
- What if we could go back in time together – where would you like to go?
- What if we wanted to get a pet – would you rather have a dog or a cat?
- What if you got the opportunity of a lifetime but had to leave me behind?
- What if one of us won the jackpot at the lottery – would we share it?
- What if you cheated on me?
- What if we were to have a baby in 9 months?
- What if I was handicapped and you had to take care of me – would you still love me?
- What if we had to work the same job – which job would you choose and why?
- What if we were on a high-speed rollercoaster and I threw up on you?
- What if my parents don’t like you?
- What if your ex showed around and professed their love for you – would you leave me for them?
- What if people made fun of me – would you defend me?
- What if you could design and build any living space you want – what would it look like?
- What if we had to be separated for a month – no texts, no calls, no anything?
- What if you could change one thing about my body?
- What if you could revisit one specific moment of your life? Which one would you choose?
- What if you could never tell a lie?
- What if you had the chance to go to space – would you go for it?
- What if someone wrote you a love letter – how would you react?
- What if you tattoo my name somewhere on your body – would you do it?
- What if you could only drink one beverage for the rest of your life?
- What if there were no weekends?
- What if you didn’t have to work a day in your life – how would you spend your time?
- What if we met earlier – would we be attracted to each other?
- What if I start making all the decisions for you in a week? Does that make you nervous?
- What if I gave you a surprise haircut?
- What if you were given a chance to be the president?
- What if you had to open a restaurant – what food would it serve?
- What if you could date anyone that has ever lived – who would you pick?
- What if someone wrote your biography? Can you give me the summary?
- What if aliens abducted you?
- What if there is life after death?
- What if you were a famous painting? Who would paint you?
- What if we could breathe and live underwater?
- What if tomorrow you woke up without your eyesight?
- What if suddenly I start to smell really bad?
- What if you could speak to animals – how would you best use that ability?
- What if you just found out you have an illegitimate child?
- What if one of us dated someone famous and they told an embarrassing story to the world about our relationship?
- What if you could bring someone back from the dead?
- What if you had to turn into one animal and live out your life in that form?
Some final thoughts…
See, wasn’t that exciting?
Maybe I am a bit biased, but I still consider these types of questions as one of the best ways to get to know someone. After all, if you don’t ask questions that are out of the box, you will never truly know the depths of your partner’s soul.
What if they woke up blind tomorrow? That’s such a big life-changer. Probably they never thought about that one themselves, since it’s such a stretched scenario, but what if that really did happen? How would they handle their life from then on?
Just keep one thing in mind if you ever decide to use these questions yourself – keep your mind open. Your partner might likely surprise you with their answers, so try not to judge them and instead accept them for who they are. Feel free to have a discussion over some of the answers.
From my experience, this brings an added value to the conversation, especially if you two are of differing opinions.
And there you have it! Please, if you do decide to have some fun with these questions, let me know how it goes for you. Also, if you have a favorite “what-if” question of your own, which I haven’t listed here, feel free to share it in the comments below!
Save these questions for later
50 “What-If” Questions For Couples
An aspiring wordsmith with a gift of understanding the intricacies of human relationships. When she is not busy wrapping up her Master’s degree in Social and Organisational Psychology, Snezhina likes reading, learning new languages, and capturing moments with her camera.